Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Keeping It Real

I work with young adults between 15 and 20 years younger than me. Some of them have picked up on my ability to read human behavior and the keen understanding I have of human nature.

I told them, "Listen, it really is no big deal. I have lived almost half a century. I should know something by now."

They are astonished by my ability to not truly care what other people think of me, especially if that means I have to go along to get along, hide from the truth, or beat around the bush. "The same thing people love about you Ms. Hall, is the same thing they hate about you. That has to be rough."Yes, it can be, but I'd rather have it like that than any other way.

My 30th High School Reunion is coming up in July. I pulled out my scrapbook and began reading the comments people wrote about me 30 years ago. Tears came to my eyes as I read things like, "Stay as real as you are and you will go far." "You are and will always be a woman. No one deals with smut with the style and grace like you do." "You are definitely not a person who is afraid to be herself. I guess that is a good thing. Especially for you. You should go far."

My boyfriend's mother wrote, "Stay as you are and never become a phony baloney."
Another friend wrote, "You are cool, calm and collected." All of the comments had to do with how much of a REAL person I seemed and how I seemed not to care what others thought of me.

Even back then, I had an idea of who I was and where I wanted to go and people recognized it. Today, fully grown and understanding myself more than ever, I am still told how real I am, how down-to-earth I am, and how open and honest I can be. It feels good to know I have not strayed from what I always knew to be true, nobody can be you but you.

No comments:

Post a Comment