Thursday, June 24, 2010

Irony

It is so ironic. I was the child who never wanted to get married. I didn't even want to have a relationship because I could see how hard they were to sustain. Yet, here I am calling myself Martyr for Marriage and actually meaning it.

I have come to understand the importance of developing relationships and doing our best to maintain them. The marital relationship is particularly of interest to me because outside of the relationship we have with our parents, none is more intimate. Our parents get the chance to see us grow physically and mentally. If you are blessed, you will marry someone who wants you to continue to grow mentally and will help you do just that whether it be literally, or it happens because of the dynamics of the relationship.

I don't think my husband set out to make me better, but he sure did. His desire to himself helped me understand he had the right to be just as I do. As we struggled to learn each other and love each other, I became amazed at how much I had to stretch to allow him to be him. That was exciting for me because the more I let go and let him be who he was, the more I grew into who I was.

I almost want to laugh at how serious I am about doing my part the get the good news out about marriage. I want everyone who wants to be married to feel they can, but I also want them to know they have to be open to being agreeable with and aware of their partners.

No comments:

Post a Comment