Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Happiness is Overrated

The question, "Why when you see married people, do one of the partners look unhappy?"

I was outraged. It is so amazing to me how much people harp on the most fleeting emotion we have, happiness. Nothing is stagnate. Life is fluidity, change, movement. We insist on being happy all the time like it is really possible.

Most of us are not happy with ourselves, it is no wonder why we can't find it with another. To assume you can tell whether a couple is married, or happy is ridiculous. My answer to the question, was with the question, "What does happiness look like?" I went on to add "don't look to others for happiness, it is within. Happiness is overrated."

My happiness does not depend on other people. I used to be like other folk, thinking others could make me happy, but as I became more enlightened and self-aware, I recognized I am in control of all my emotions and thus responsible for all of them. If I allow someone to interfere with my happiness, that is on me and me alone. People are not responsible for how you monitor your emotions. If you let someone take you through changes, it is on you.

We need to wake up and accept we all have the capability of making, creating, and developing the lives we desire. What other people think, how they feel, what they say, should not effect you to the point where you lose you, or feel bad about you. I'm not saying you can't be hurt by others, what I am saying is even if we are hurt by others, it is up to us to regulate our hurt feelings and emotions. We cannot resort to blame to justify being unhappy with the lives we have created.

Happiness is overrated and almost non-existent for many. I'd much rather be content and have peace of mind than to be in a constant state of happiness. As a matter of fact, I'd much rather just deal with things as they come instead of looking for happiness in all my encounters, especially with loved ones. It just rarely happens. People trample on your happiness searching for their own happiness. It is rare we meet and marry someone who shares the same things that make each happy.

The best we can do is leave people alone when we see they are happy. Or we can find out what does make them happy and try to add to it, but we cannot control whether or not someone else is happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment