Saturday, July 10, 2010

Watching for the Signs

My husband's doctor has told him to be watching for the signs of a stroke. He has has four and because the arteries in his brain are hardening, he will possibly have more, or at least one. The signs are there. His eyesight is failing rapidly. I see the terror in his face every time he reads something.

The poor remote, he has dropped it so often I have complete faith in plastic. It still lives. What is the hardest is his memory loss, or inability to retain. I haven't figured out which is the case, but he most definitely doesn't remember much. It was easy for me to play the victim role and say he was not listening to me, that is why he doesn't hear me. I am finding that whether he listening or not, he may not hear, for he is losing his hearing.

Diabetes have ravaged his body. Diabetes is taking the man I married away from me and all I can do is wait and watch for the signs. I can only hope and pray that however it comes he is spared anymore further pain and suffering. The slow, but sure death he is experiencing is painful to watch, but I am there for him as much as I can be.

I do my best to continue to treat him the same, but it is hard because my heart really does recognize he is not the same man. I'm blaming it on bad genes, bad eating habits and habitual denial of reality. He wouldn't do what he was told to do and now it is too late. So we just watch for the signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment