Monday, August 30, 2010

My Time is Now

Ever since I was 10 years old, I have known I would own my own publishing company and publish my own works. Even then I knew the way I thought was different from others. As I grew and began to understand myself and the world more, it was more than obvious to me that the way I saw the world was not like those around me saw it.

When I went to my 30th High School Reunion in E. St. Louis, Il. Our football coach talked about a young man who was inspired to leave the city after hearing the coach tell his players there was a bigger world than ESL.

I laughed to myself. I didn't need him or anyone else to tell me I could leave. I have planned to move to Evanston, IL in the fourth grade and my classmates still recall the day I told them all. They couldn't believe it then, and can't believe I've been gone for over 25 years. The majority of them still live in the area.

I have always had a sense of wonder and freedom. I still have that and I am now ready to move to Atlanta. I know there is something great waiting there for me to discover. Something only I can bring out of the marvelous city. A vibe, a feeling, an awareness.

It is my turn, and although I don't have all the answers at least I know I'll take my share of chances. This is a line from a Diana Ross song made for the movie "My Turn." I love that movie and the soundtrack even more.

It is my turn and I am ready if I don't get to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment