Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Obamas

I saw the first couple on Oprah last night. Oprah asked them how the appointment has affected their marriage and you could tell they are basically the same. They are a very cerebral couple. Good for them.

The First Lady talked about liking her husband. Yes, it would be a perk to like your mate, but most often it is really hard. This is the person who you see at the worse. You know things about them others may never know. You learn things you don't want to know.

For me, what saved my marriage wasn't the fact that my husband was my friend, as much as it was the unconditional love I was able to develop over the years. The more I loved him it seemed the less I liked him. I soon became convinced he would much rather I love him, whether I liked him or not.

He doesn't like me either. I'm everything he wants to be and just can't seem to muster up to decency to rise to the occasion. No, if I weren't married to him, I probably wouldn't even speak to him. We have talked about this fact many times. This is why we are so convinced there is something very divine about our union. Soul mates as he likes to say.

I have had to agree. It can only be something greater than me that keeps me thinking lovingly about the man I'm married to. I am convinced I'm married to the right man. I also believe I must have done something terribly wrong in another life.

But I got it this time. I learned my lesson and that is to love whether I like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment