Saturday, February 27, 2010

How Did I Know?

I knew my husband was the one when he was willing to make a fool of himself for my sake. He has done this numerous times throughout the 25 years we've been together, but the very first time he did it really solidified a place for him in my heart.

Back in 1985 when we met, there was a rock group called General Public and they had a hit titled Tenderness. I loved that song, but it was really faced paced and my husband was more of a cool dancer, but me, I loved to get into it with the music.

No one really liked to dance to the song because of the pace so when it came on everyone got off the floor but me. We had just met and he wanted to impress me so when he turned around and saw I was dancing to the song, he actually joined in. By the end of the record, he was soaked with sweat. I love to dance and it meant a lot to me he didn't leave me on the floor alone, as I had been left so many times before.

I also knew he loved me when I came home one day and he had taken strips of carpet and nailed them to the wall. It was very decorative, even though I was thrown off by the concept at first. I stood away from the wall so I could take it all in and noticed he had written I love you with his finger in the carpet. Yes, my heart melted, once again.

Then there was the time we broke up and I refused to talk to him. He came to the Gaslight, a hole in the wall we frequented on the weekends. I wouldn't talk to him. The bartender came over to the table and told me to watch to scrolling sign. As I watched, I saw "Jerome loves Wanda" roll by. He had me. The bartender made it a point to tell me he paid them $50 to put that on the sign.

Love is an action word. What a person says means little. It is what they do that tells you whether they are sincere or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment