Monday, February 1, 2010

I Have Issues

I have issues just like everyone else. What sets me apart is I have become determined to look at myself before I make judgements about others. When there is a misunderstanding, (unless I know I am right) then I do all I can to make sure I don't make it worse. When I am talking to people, I do what I can to listen with intent. This practice throws so many people off because they are not used to being listened to. They ask, "Are you there? Are you listening?" I respond, "I'm listening." You really have to close your mouth and quiet the mind to listen.

I still fall a little short when it come to my kids. I'm examining why I think that is. I will say I think it has a lot to do with the fact I have taught them a lot of what they know, so I tend to finish their sentences. Thank God they are enough of their own people to tell me when I'm treading on them.

I have issues. As a matter of fact, I would say I'm a nerd and a little anti-social, in a social kinda of way. I will go somewhere, then sit and observe. Or, I can be a socialite, where I'm the life of the party. I'm fragmented like that. This is another reason why I am a fan of Gestalt therapy.

I have issues. I know I sound all smart and wise, but I'm just as lost in some ways as others are in the ways of self-aware, relationships and the other topics I write about with ease. Now if you want to start talking about managing money, or being a team player, or sports, or TV shows, I'm at a deficit. There are many things I am not good at and you can believe I stay as far away from my limitations as possible. This minimizes the stress I feel. I won't lie. I play up my strengths as much as I can.

According to Strengthsfinder my strengths are:

Self-Assurance - People strong in the Self-Assurance theme feel confident in their ability to manage their own lives. They possess an inner compass that gives them confidence that their decisions are right. This is what we all need. This is how you move forward, no matter what, by believing in yourself.

Achiever - People strong in the Achiever theme have a great deal of stamina and work hard. They take great satisfaction from being busy and productive. So, me.

Communication - People strong in the Communication them generally find it easy to put their thought into words. They are good conversationalists and presenters.

Empathy - People strong in the Empathy theme can sense the feelings of other people by imagining themselves in others' lives or others' situations. This is why I write this blog. I know what you are going through, or at least I "feel" like I do.

Maximizer - People strong in the Maximizer theme focus on strengths as a way to stimulate personal and group excellence. They seek to transform something strong into something superb. I told you.

Challenge yourself to do something that brings you closer to you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment