Saturday, December 10, 2011

Half a Century Old

One month from today I will be half a century old. when I thin about my life and all I've thought I would never see, a black president was definitely first on my list. I absolutely never thought I would see a black man become president. That has been one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life.

Even though I always believed it would happen, when I got my own business it was confirmed to me that my life was my own on so many levels. My marriage of 26 years completely transformed me into the woman I had hoped I would be. My children have been one of my biggest motivations. They inspire me and keep me on my toes. Now that two of them are young adults they come to me with praises for the way I reared them. If I die today, I would be a happy woman because my children have confirmed for me what I had hoped to express to them that they are important and loved.

I have achieved all but two of the major goals I set for myself. I do not have a masters degree, nor Ph.d, but I may soon be back in school. The only reason why I have not gotten back in school because I was planning on getting a MBA to be able to open a business. Obviously, I didn't need to degree to start and operate the business. I was born to be a psychologist, but it is not as appealing to me as being an entrepreneur is.

I have the Key to the City of Louisville, the Distinguished Citizens award, I wrote a column for over eight years, I've given speeches, which I still would like to do more of. I've acted in community theater, and I perform at open mic venues several times throughout the year.

No one could have ever told me I would be in such a good place at this point in my life. I truly am happy with myself just as I am. I have a great relationship with God and I know I'm worthy of being alive. Nothing is more important to me than my peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment