Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Like You, You'll Love You

I wrote this poem when I was 15 years old.


Like You, You'll Love You


You never want to be who you are.

You look at others and admire them from afar

You never look at yourself and say,

"I'm the best I can be."

You always look and say,

"I don't like me."


If you don't like yourself, life will always be hard to live.

Just remember you have all God had to give.


Make the best of you,

You are all you've got.

Forget about others and what you're not.


Be yourself and you'll soon see;

that who you are is who you would rather be.


It took me years to actually live this poem. When I write poetry, it is usually out of great pain, or joy. When I wrote this one, I was trying desperately to make myself believe I was worthy. I was in my 30's before I actually felt the words of the poem. Wow! How cruel we are to ourselves, yet we expect others to like and care about us. I learned the hard way folk treat you like you allow them to. They can tell when you don't like yourself and will take full advantage.


Like you, you'll love you. Start today.

No comments:

Post a Comment