Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ode to Elizabeth Edwards

I know it is hard for her family to have lost her, Elizabeth Edwards, that is. She was a "good wife." The wife of a man hoping to be President of the United States, but too weak to be a man of honor. She loved him for 31 years. I am pretty sure she kept her promises, at least I'd like to think so. The last year of her life was full of unnecessary strife because of her husband's bad choices.


He chose to be with an unstable woman and actually impregnated her and told her he loved her. I know this was hard for Elizabeth and that is why she had to write the book she did. So many questioned her motives. So many thought she should have been too embarrassed to aire the truth regarding her marriage. She had to do it. Just as I did, because I too know the pain of losing the affection of your husband.


My husband has never proclaimed to love anyone else. He does have a son two months older than our last child. We were separated and during this time he felt he was free. Silly man. Even with all we have been through my husband has not waviered regarding believing he loves me. I will admit there is comfort in the fact he has not declared his love for anyone else, but his desire to be with other women, reminds me that love is not enough.


Elizabeth Edwards was strong and capable, but she did not take good care of herself. She admitted to not getting mammograms and not doing self checks. She admitted to putting others first. There is a big part of me that believes her younger children were born out of a desire to replace a loss and to prevent a loss. She had those children in her late forties when we all experience great transition and longing, especially if we have children who are leaving home. Unfortunately she lost a son when he was 18, and I think she probably wanted to have that feeling of motherhood again.

She will be greatly missed. She was most definitely a "Warrior Wife." She fought to save her marriage to the bitter end. What a great role model for hanging in there. Rest in Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment