Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Honesty

Someone on my job asked me to lie for them because they did not do what they were supposed to do. I was completely speechless. It literally took a over a minute to respond. Not only because of what they wanted me to lie about, but because of who asked me. I rarely consider anyone I work with a friend, but I actually liked this person and I thought we could be.

The fact he would ask me to lie still blows my mind. I am a person of high personal integrity. I monitor my own actions because I don't want to be misunderstood when it comes to doing certain things. I thought this person at least understood that.

The problem stems from the fact he is a white man, used to feeling entitled and merely looked at me as a means to an end. Like most white folk I know, he was willing to exploit me for his own personal gain. This is why I have so few dealings with them. I have found no matter how much they claim to like and respect you, when they want something, you're in the way, or you're gonna be used.

I literally could lose my job if I had done what he wanted me to do. Why can't people choose to be more honest?

No comments:

Post a Comment