Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Ties That Bind

I have been watching and reading about what makes love last. One of the things experts say helps people stay together is having shared significant experiences that caused them to come and work together.

My husband and I have had a lot of adventures. We are the "simple things" type of couple, so we took a lot of pleasure in walking by the the beach and looking at the lake. We both liked music, so we would go to a lot of concerts. During this time we didn't have a car, so just getting to the concert on the train was usually an adventure in itself.

He was so spontaneous and ready to tackle new experiences that he brought me out of my shell, so to speak. I could tell the enjoyment he experienced when he exposed me to something new. I also took joy in showing him things he would not have thought of, had it not been for me.

Even our moved here to Louisville constitutes a "binding" experience. We came here not knowing anyone at all. We have had some pretty rough times, but with the grace of our Creator, we have made a life.

It is working! I hear him giving God praise throughout the day. Three years ago he became angry if I even asked him if he had prayed. God is working through me to show him he is worthy. The changes are becoming more and more evident everyday. He is becoming more sentimental, more helpful, more thoughtful, and taking on more responsibility for household finances. It feels like a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment