Monday, May 2, 2011

Chicken Christians

There are a group of Christian folk who refuse to believe they are not supposed to suffer. They think because they believe, they are exempt.


I was having a conversation with a young man who claims to believe in Jesus. He is going through something right now and wants it to just be over. He doesn't want to change his ways or to suffer the consequences of his actions. I told him, "You say you believe. Then you should know the whole purpose of Jesus' life was to show us that we can suffer and will suffer and that it is a part of our life's purpose. If God did not spare His only son from suffering, what makes you think you don't have to?"


Of course he could not say anything and many folk are left speechless when I bring this fact to their attention. These chicken Christians are not glorifying God, instead they are running from God's promise by dodging suffering at all cost.


I accept and embrace the suffering in my life because I know God is using it to further His plans. I do my best to be mindful of the fact that suffering is a natural part of who we are as humans. It helps put things in perspective if we pay attention to the opportunities for growth that usually are present when we are in tough situations.

These Chicken Christians play a huge role in the demise of values in this country. Their desire for pleasure and things keep them from living in a way that is pleasing to God. God wants to know He has followers who are willing to be used to spread His message. When folk realize they have to really get involved for folk to see God, they react like the cowards they are and do all they can to avoid problems and suffering.

Chicken Christians are the ones who get divorced for silly reasons, they don't help others, they lie to themselves trying to make themselves believe that as long as they don't hurt anybody, they are okay. Sometimes it is not about hurting, but helping. Sometimes God wants to use us to be a blessing to others. Yes, even folk we don't think deserve it.

Love, forgiveness, understanding, patience, loyalty? We are mandated to share these emotions with each other. Instead, we trade hate for hate, jealousy for jealousy, indifference for indifference. We need more Christians unafraid to be the light God expects His followers to be in the world.

People tell me I'm crazy for staying married to my husband. Some have said, "If you had divorced him, you wouldn't be going through what you are going through now."

Yes, it is hard watching his life life slowly leave him, but I truly believe it is all a part of my purpose in life. What I am going through now is the consequence of forgiving my husband completely. Still, I have no regrets. I will remain prayerful and true.

No comments:

Post a Comment