Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Same Only Different

"Love, the magician, knows this little trick whereby two people walk in different directions yet always remain side by side." Hugh Prather


I wish my husband could have gotten this quote. He was one of those people who demanded we have "things in common." Yes, having things in common is great and sometimes can make relationships easier, but not always.


I liked the fact we didn't talk a lot. I liked we had separate lives, but could come together and get things done when needed. He couldn't handle it. He believed in what TV and movies have told him about love and relationships.

He was heavily into romantic gestures and had expectations of me that were based on fallacies. I could never live up to the image he had projected upon me. Sure enough, the moment he perceived me to be "leaving him," he snapped.

In marriage, we are the same, only different. Our sames derives from the agreements we reach. The difference is who we naturally are, who God meant for us to be. Having someone accept you for who you are is most wonderfully rare. I had 80% acceptance in my marriage. Yes, he gave me up for the 20%. Some people never value much in their lives. He is one of them.









No comments:

Post a Comment